In 1906, Duanfang, the Viceroy of Liangjiang, submitted a memorandum to the Guangxu Emperor, proposing that an overseas Chinese school be set up for the purpose of spreading far and wide the enlightening influence of education and strengthening the emotional ties with compatriots overseas. The Guangxu Emperor approved of his proposal and thus Duanfang was honored as the founder of Jinan University. On March 23, 1907. Jinan Academy was founded in Nanjing, becoming the first of its kind in Chinese history and serving as a curtain-raiser for the later development of overseas Chinese education.
In 1927, Jinan Academy was renamed Jinan National University, located in Shanghai. After the founding of the People's Republic of China (PRC) in 1949, Jinan University was closed and its schools were merged with those of other university such as Fudan University. In 1958, Jinan University was reestablished in Guangzhou.
The name "Jinan" (also Chi-Nan "reaching southward") comes from the, a compilation of documentary records related to events in ancient Chinese history. The articles reads, "His speech and teachings spread from South, from China to the rest of the world.
- 1927 - Jinan Academy was renamed Jinan National University.
- 1949 - Jinan National University was merged into Fudan University and Jiaotong University.
- 1983 - Jinan University pioneered in the country the implementation of credit system.
- 1996 - Jinan University passed the pre-examination of the "211 program" related department and was put into the "top 100 normal universities" list, which would get prior construction in the 21st century.
- 2001 - College of Journalism and Communication, College of Information Science and Technology, College of Foreign Studies, Pharmacy College, Law School and International School were established.
- 2002 - Jinan University started to launch EMBA Program with approval from the Degree Administration Office of the State Council. As one of the first group of universities.
- 2006 - The celebration ceremony of the 100th Anniversary of Jinan University was held.
- 2011 - The Graduate School of Jinan University was established.
Location and campus
The university has five campuses:
- College of Chinese language and culture, Guangzhou
- new campus, Guangzhou (Completed in 2014)
Jinan University has 27 colleges, comprising 59 departments and offering 89 undergraduate major fields. Among the 55 departments, 43 departments offer master's degree programs and 19 departments offer Ph.D degree granting programs. There are 15 postdoctoral research stations, 182 research institutes and 77 labs in Jinan University. The university has four national key disciplines, eight key disciplines of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, 20 Guangdong Province Level-I key disciplines, and four Guangdong Province Level-II key disciplines. The university also has a key research base of national humanity and social sciences, a teaching and research base for Chinese language and literature of the Education Ministry, a base for national university cultural quality education, a base of national base for teaching Chinese as a foreign language, an educational base for overseas Chinese education of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council and a key research base of humanity and social science of Guangdong Province. Still, the university has one national engineering center, 7 ministerial centers (engineering centers of the Ministry of Education) and provincial centers, and 11 key ministerial and provincial key laboratories. There are 50, 535 students in the university, including 10, 767 graduates and 22, 527 undergraduates. The number of overseas students, including foreign students, overseas Chinese students, students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, is 13, 512.
The current president of the university is Dr. Hu Jun. It has recently started a new undergraduate course MBBS, with Indian students mainly.
- One of the oldest universities in China and one of the "211" key national universities in China
- The first university in China to recruit foreign students
- The first university in China to enroll students at both spring and autumn semesters
- The first university that pioneered the implementation of credit system in China
- The university with the largest number of overseas students
- The only university which have alumni in both Chinese and foreign state-level leaders in China